Monday, November 22, 2004

Red Bug Flashback

I would not have believed it, but it happened. Two weeks ago I found myself driving a red 1969 Volkswagen bug, one almost identical to the one I owned in high school. I even loaded Ellie, Carly, Erin and her friend Kristie in the red bug for a wild ride throughout the streets of Friday Harbor. They couldn't believe Dad actually fit in the bug, let alone was able to shift gears and drive it. By the way, it is harder to get into at age 52.

Memories of good old high school days came racing back through my mind. As I reviewed each one I found myself saying, "I can't believe you did that". By all rights, many of my crazed adventures in my little red bug should have ended in catastrophe. The Lord certainly had his hand upon me.

Looking back, I'm thankful the Lord spared me and is now renewing my mind as the Scripture says in Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of the "red bug" crazed world, (Woodward paraphrase) but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." He renews our minds as we read His Word, what a blessing!

No comments: