Monday, October 25, 2004

Transistor Radio Days

A couple of days ago I decided it was time to re-paint the front porch ceiling. One of my favorite things to do while at work is to listen to the radio. I pulled out our CD/radio boom box, plugged it in and to my suprise I was tuned in to the MLB playoffs. What a break!

Immediately this "old guy", as Damon affectionately calls me, was flooded with memories of sixth grade, the World Series and transistor radios. You see my sixth grade teacher, Mr. Lentine, would let us listen to the World Series during our morning and lunch recess. I couldn't wait to get my work done and listen to the game. Of course being an L.A. Dodger fan, Yankee- Dodger rivalries were most significant.

What happened to "transistor radio days"? Wow! I loved to recreate the plays in my mind as the announcer described them. Those days are gone now. Technology has brought the game visually right into our living room. It has also brought "unhealthy messages" via commercials to our minds. God calls us to renew our minds, Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will know what God wants you to do, and you will know how good and pleasing and perfect his will really is. Romans 12:2

So, turn on your radios this week and enjoy the game through your ears. It may bring back some sweet memories.

No comments: